Friday, July 13, 2018

Breakfast Meal Prep

I’m a habitual Pintrester. To me, that word describes one who pins thousands of articles, recipes and ideas...and that’s it. Well, I was a habitual Pintrester. Recently I became a PinTESTER and started actually trying some of the 50 million things on my boards. I’ve tried a few art projects, hair styles, cleaning methods. But my favorite things to try are the recipes. 
I have the most friends who are on a new diet every few months - keto, smoothie, meal prep - and they inspire me to save more pins 🤪 One day, I was at work eating a microwaved sausage I picked up at the grocery store at the last minute and someone said to me “That’s bad for you. Too many preservatives.” That got me thinking. Preservatives are one of the things that cause us to hold on to so much weight and contribute to many health problems. What to do? I only like hot breakfast, need protein to stay full, but don’t want to wake up early enough to cook food everyday. Enter: Pinterest. In my routine hold-and-save operations, I saved a few breakfast meal prep recipes. I decided to try one so that I can have real, hot food for breakfast grab n go style.

On this weeks menu: Eggs, Bacon, “Home Fries”
As one who has enjoyed cooking from childhood, I certainly did not need a recipe for any of the items in my breakfast plate. But I definitely benefitted from the suggestion found in this pin. I spent about an hour Sunday morning scrambling 8 eggs, baking slices of bacon, and cooking home fries.
I forgot to snap the eggs.

The eggs and bacon were the easiest part of this of course. I used my favorite cast iron skillet for the eggs. I cooked them in melted butter until they were just set then divided them evenly amongst my to-go dishes. Meanwhile, I cut the bacon in half, placed it on a cookie sheet, then baked it in the oven for bout 20 minutes at 400 degrees. When finished, I let it drain on a paper towel. I also boiled my cubed potatoes for about 7 minutes so they wouldn’t take long to cook in the pan.
Yummy 😋 

After finishing the eggs, I wiped out my skillet, melted more butter, diced some onions and three in my potatoes. This is my favorite part! I LOVE potatoes. Usually, I season them with salt, pepper, paprika and Italian seasoning then toss em. I tried to let em get a good sear before flipping. That’s when I added the onions. The potatoes took about 15 minutes to finish. I gave them a light press to make them more home fry-ish. 


I must say, I was really happy with the results and happy with myself for trying this meal prep. It worked perfectly with my schedule. 
To heat these up, I loosened the lid and microwaved for 30 seconds. Remove, stir, repeat. Eggs were perfect, bacon was perfect, potatoes were PERFECT! Fresh, hot breakfast in a minute with NO added preservatives. 
#WinWinWin

I will certainly try this again. Thank you Pinterest!




No comments:

Post a Comment